5 Reasons Why You Should Have a Crush on Someone at Work
When you let it slip that you have a crush on someone at work, people will give you the side eye and fill your head with negativity, like saying that the crush is a distraction and will hinder your job performance.
They wouldn’t be entirely wrong because it is a distraction in some ways; however, there are some benefits to having a crush at the workplace can be beneficial too.
1. You are less likely to miss a day at work — ever.
We all know employers want employees who come to work when they are scheduled, but they especially love when they are willing to come on in their days off. When you have a crush, that anticipation of seeing that special someone trumps any feelings you might have about not wanting to go. Not only will you go in on your regular days, but you may be willing to pick up extra time just to spend time with your crush. This means brownie points with the boss, extra cash and extra time with them.
2. You’re always in a good mood.
Whenever you see them, your day instantly gets better. You could be in the worst mood possible, and all they have to do is flash you that brilliant smile of theirs, and it feels like your world righted itself. This can all be credited to the power of your crush! Don’t believe that he has this type of power over you? Look back at all the interactions you’ve had with him. How many times were you not feeling very chatty, but when he asks your opinion on something, you open up like a social butterfly and your mood changes almost instantly? This change in your mood doesn’t just include how you interact with him, but it affects how you are going to interact with your coworkers. If someone is in a great mood, the entire office feels that.
3. You are less likely to waste your time dealing with office politics.
Since you have your eye on someone special, you’re going to do whatever you can to run into them as frequently as possible. You’ll take your lunch break when you know he does. You’ll figure out his coffee habits in the hopes of running into him. You might even try to get on the same team as him for work projects. You’re so focused on trying to get more time with him, you won’t have time to get wrapped up in any office politics that has people in an uproar. Because you’re so focused on him, you’re going to be pleasant to everyone else and wind up being friends with your co-workers, rather than feeding into any work related drama.
4. You are going to do your best to impress him.
In your efforts to get him to take notice of you, you’re going to step up your game. You’re going to start dressing nicer, doing your hair in more elaborate ways, even might putting a bit more effort into the work you do—especially if he is someone with some authority within the company. Whether you are intentionally doing these things to get him to notice you or not, people will take notice and they’ll compliment you for the effort. See how that extra effort can
work in your favor?
5. You may discover that they have a crush on you, too!
All this time you have been eyeing this person from afar and doing these small things to get yourself noticed, have you ever considered that your crush may have a crush on you? Think about it. You two spend at least 8 hours a day together, so naturally, you’re going to talk and get to know one another on a personal level. This friendship can grow into something more if and when you nurture it. Though the work place is meant to be a place of professionalism, there are plenty of relationships that have started in the office and have lasted for many years. You’ve just got to be willing to give it a try and play your cards right.
Just a few bits of advice, though:
- Make sure the person you have a crush on is single. You don’t want to be the cause of someone’s relationship ending.
- Make sure you are ready to cope with the circumstances of things becoming awkward between the two of you if you start dating, and it doesn’t pan out.
- Be familiar with your company’s policies regarding dating a co-worker. Some companies will terminate your employment if you are dating a boss. Some go so far as to fire you for dating someone who is at the same level as you! If you aren’t willing to risk getting fired, you might want to rethink how far you’re willing to let this crush go.